Saturday, June 13, 2015

I tried to run but only got the blues.

Teen Improv Club
The rains are a delight and a curse. The tomatoes I planted last week have taken and are growing very well, but Timon was forced to move indoors under a threatening sky. The windows and doors are open, cool breezes and the sound of rain making for a fine and long rest, my first truly decent night of sleep in a number of weeks. The basement however is extremely damp and unpleasant and we may need to activate the air conditioning just to dry everything out.

New dedication to my mandate. Last night I read before sleep, this morning I read upon rising, and for the first time in a week I wrote. That must happen daily. Not so much creative imaginings, but a reflection upon the week just past, one which surprised me with its success.

When I was a teenager, I longed to be admired, but that is not in and of itself a goal one can accomplish. Hard-earned humility (yes, I have some of that) taught me to focus on the task at hand, and that positive emotion can only be a happy by-product of hard work. Even then the good feelings are fleeting, and so I cannot give them much attention. Sometimes I get it right. I do not bask in it.

This week was the rare exception when the hard work was successful and I could feel it going right as it was happening. This was as much due to our planning, my work partner's and mine, as the good spirit and positive attitude of the students we were working with. They were happy, genuinely happy, and said so, and so were we.

And like that, it was over. In two days we begin again, another five week process and experience has taught that that part is more challenging than the first, and so we must prepare, several hours of this weekend spent in preparation. No time to bask.

Temperature: 66°
Distance: 4.1 miles
Avg Pace: 7.26
Climate: cooler, but damp and muggy

The kind of weather that sucks the sweat right out of you. Fortunately, not so warm today, after the rains. It is supposed to continue between not and next Saturday. (Alas, poor Timon.)

Have I entered the training period for a marathon so prepared before? I have not. Must remember the basics, to drink (I did, as Stephani recommended, 32 ounces for beginning and a water break along the way) and eat.

Half a banana does not count as eating. Work on that.

Weight: 157.5 lbs.
From Goal: -2.5

What's That Lyric?
Grab The Next Train - Marshall Crenshaw

No comments: