Saturday, June 20, 2015

This is the longest night.

Peace, Love and Little Doughnuts
Yesterday I weighed 155 pounds. This morning, 158 lbs. The past forty-eight hours have been tension-filled and active, and yet full of play, good conversation, interesting events, and far, far too many doughnuts.

We closed the theater camp, once more creating a private improv club for the teenagers, one for which they were invited to bring treats. These included two dozen items from Jack Frost which are hands down the best in the city. I was good and ate one.

Though in the afternoon, as were packing up the camp and shipping out there were several left over so I had a second. And as it took some time to pack up I had several odd pieces which had been broken off by others.

With new colleagues at Sokolowski's Inn
Last night, as part of this weekend's Theater Communications Group 2015 National Conference, I had the honor of hosting a Dine Around events for visiting artists at Sokolowski's in Tremont.

Though work and family business kept me away from most of the conference, I was happy to represent and have this opportunity to meet some half-dozen charming folks representing three theaters in the D.C./Virginia region.

And of course, pierogis.

This morning Great Lakes Theater held a light breakfast at the Hanna Theatre ... a light breakfast of doughnuts, that is. This time from Peace, Love and Little Doughnuts and Doughnut Lab

I had a doughnut, I had one more doughnut.

Distance: 4 miles + ???
Route: North Chagrin Reservation

Driving home from the after party last night, not yet midnight, I was already tired. Not because it had already been a very long day, but that kind of tired you get when you know you are tired, and you are aware that you have to wake early and that there is still so much to do. I had had two beers over the course of the entire evening, just two, but I was exhausted.

And I thought of the running I needed to do today (4 miles) and on Sunday (8 miles) and I thought, how the hell am I going to do that? My wife was leaving town with our daughter, I would be on my own with the boy, and I was not happy about leaving him to watch Minecraft videos for an hour and a half.

I had to take him to his band practice, which is way out east and my wife suggested I take a run while I was out there. The North Chagrin Reservation is lovely, and I thought sure, why not? Even if I don't know the paths, I have my phone, my mapping programs, it will be fine.

It was far from fine. I took a trail, which became a road, and then a street. I should have turned back, but I looked at the map program and I thought I knew which way to turn. But after four miles, I noticed that I was far from where I had started with little clue as how to get back.

That was then I tried a path, a hiking path, to cut through the woods. And then I got lost. I had a live map, I could even hear traffic, but I could not see where the trail led, and I walked, and then I ran, and then I panicked, and I was in those woods, running trying to get out for fifteen minutes.

Then I followed a road for another fifteen minutes, which was mostly uphill. This was after running four miles, and whatever else I had done in the meantime and I was very thirsty and very tired and very, very unhappy.

Temperature: 81°
Climate: humid and overcast
Weight:158 lbs.
Hydration: poor
Stretches: no

I told myself I was not going to bother running eight miles tomorrow, why should I? It's several hours later now, and I am thinking of it as a challenge. Besides, It's Father's Day which in America means I can do whatever the fuck I like.

What's That Lyric?
I Feel Better - Hot Chip 

No comments: