Sunday, June 28, 2015

There is no way for you to win this race.

Rainbow.
We have arrived in North Carolina, and we had barely unpacked before I set out for my prescribed 10 mile run. After ripping my feet up three years ago - running barefoot on the beach for four miles - you would think I know better.

I was wearing shoes, but not the right shoes. I brought the green clown shoes, for fear of damaging my new UA slippers. This was not wise, as they no longer fit very well. I have two blisters on the tips of my second and third toes on my left foot.

But oh well. Seriously, no big deal. What was truly debilitating was the wind. It's been stormy here as it has been everywhere else. That was part of the reason I wanted to get out as soon as I could, I wasn't sure if it was going to rain or not.

Three miles out with the wind in my back ... ten five miles into the wind. Five miles. Into the wind. At mile six, my wife ran out to the beach with a bottle of water, which was awesome. I probably should have packed it in right there, but I figured, hey. Two more miles into the wind, what's the big deal? And then the final two with it at my back.

Sure. Tell yourself anything. Just get there.

Distance: 10 miles
Avg Pace: 8.32
Route: Topsail Beach

The final mile I took off my shoes and ran in the surf. I had looked forward to it, but it felt more desperate than joyful. Sorry. Anyway, if the weather holds the rest of the week will be considerably more pleasurable.

Running into the wind, right next to the ocean, my sinuses opened wide and I was just drooling wet snot for most of the run. I received a great deal of positive comments from the family when I finally staggered into the beach house, but I think I looked like a man on the verge of a coronary. I'm not being flip.

Anyway. Vacation!

Week Two Total: 25 miles
Training To Date: 49 miles

Temperature: 84°
Climate: windy!
Hydration: yes!
Stretches: no.

What's That Lyric?
Sofi Needs A Ladder - Deadmau5

No comments: