Saturday, April 21, 2018

The sun is up. The sky is blue.

1968 Playlist - or - "The Beatles"
Back In The U.S.S.R.
Dear Prudence
Martha My Dear
Savoy Truffle
Revolution 1
Mother Nature's Son
Glass Onion
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Blackbird
I'm So Tired
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I Will
Julia
Helter Skelter *
Good Night

Ultimate Classic Rock has a feature called the 45-Minute Album Police. It is not a unique opinion that there is not a single double album in the history of popular music that needs to be that long, that could not have been improved upon through some common sense editing.

Blood, Sugar,Sex, Magik comes to mind. Sign O' The Times. Even George Harrison himself knew he was being a dick when he released his first solo record as a three-album set and named it All Things Must Pass.

The White Album (which any prig will tell you is really titled simply, The Beatles) is certainly too long, a disjointed mess which includes numerous beautiful tracks lumped in with novelty songs, Paul's old-timey music hall bullshit and "Revolution 9" which no one has ever listened to in the presence of another human being.

I chose the edit by Nick DeRiso, because I liked it well enough, and because it was the first list on the page.

I chose to listen to this album for this run because in July I turn fifty, and a few months later, so will the The White Album.

Distance: 5.5 miles
Duration: 46:19
Pace: 8:25
Route: Forest Hill/Cain Park Loop
Temperature: 48°
Climate: just gorgeous
Pavement: dry
Mood: apprehensive, but forward-looking

What I most remember about this album is that I first listened to it when I was nine or ten, when I was first introduced to the Paul is Dead legend. I have no doubt that John put in one or two, but at the time, I was hearing clues everywhere, and this record -- according to legend -- is full of them.

As a result, it wasn't until I was an adult that I could listen to "Revolution 9" at all. Even today, whatever John and Yoko were intending it to sound like, it plays for me like a long, creepy seance.

Stretches: yes

Just a perfect day for a run. Welcome, spring. Clear, blue sky, light breeze, smiling faces in the park, on the street. And I run, I am running. No, it's not perfect. I am not without pain. But still, I run. The running is happening.

Baseline: 178 lbs.
Today: 164 lbs. (-0.5)
Goal: 165 lbs.

No comments: