Friday, August 14, 2015

I seem to run out here.

Last Sunday was the halfway mark, eight weeks into a sixteen week training period. As it was celebrated plotzing on a treadmill for less than three miles, the significance seemed to have escaped me.

Sunday I am due to run eighteen miles. Not sure yet where that will take me. In the past I have gone down to Dead Man's Curve and back. That can be a drag. Maybe I will be able to think of something better.

Distance: 4 miles
Duration: 32:15
Avg Pace: 8:03
Route: Forest Hills

Slower today. Humid again, muggy.

This past week I heard news of two middle-aged men who died in accidents. One I knew, the other did not. The first tragic, the second ... avoidable. I want to say stupid but it's horrible enough.

When we were at Niagara, I wondered how many iPhones are lost to the falls every single day. How many phones, sitting at the bottom of the falls. There have to be many, people drop their phones all the time. Maybe they break, maybe they don't, but you can always just pick them up. You lean over the wall, just stick you hands out over the wall that divides you from the ceaselessly rushing water. Drop that phone, it's just gone. And it was like everyone there had a phone, hundreds and hundreds of pictures.

This week a colleague, the father of one of my children's classmates, he died in a fall. It was just an accident, a tumble down the stairs. Like the owner of Happy Dog, a workplace tragedy. I think of this man's wife and his daughter, and his absence. It makes me sad, and I will be honest it fills me with fear for my own life, and what would happen if I were not here.

I would like to think that if I was on a roller coaster and lost my phone, that I would ask for assistance rather than trying to fetch it myself. If we were in Montreal and one of our phones were dropped into the tracks of the subway, wouldn't we ask for assistance? Would I be foolish enough to try and get it myself? Well, fuck no, for one thing my wife wouldn't let me.

I know nothing about that guy. He's about my age, probably has a family. I don't need to know. It's haunting. My wife took the girl and her friends to Cedar Point on Wednesday, apparently a fun and memorable time for everyone involved. I'm so glad they weren't there yesterday.

Temperature: 72°
Climate: muggy
Weight: 157 lbs.
Intake: yogurt, granola & raisins
Hydration: yes
Water Stop: no
Stretches: yes

What's That Lyric?
Revolving Doors - Gorillaz 

No comments: