Thursday, August 27, 2015

I want to run but I can't hide.

Now it is cool and rainy. My sinuses are very unhappy and I have gotten up every morning with a slight headache.

I remember in the early-late 1990s, after the wife (who was then the girlfriend) had moved in and I would often wake up feeling headachy and stuffed up and in pain and just not in the mood to spend an entire day in a basement on Coventry and I wondered what was wrong.

Was it this house? Was it the heating system, was there mold in the walls? Dust mites?

Well, no, maybe it had to do with being twenty pounds overweight and all the smoking and drinking.

Each year I can pretty much count on a week or two of cranial unhappiness at the beginning of September. I feel it has come a little early this year.

Distance: 8 miles
Duration: 1:06:52
Avg Pace: 8:21
Route: Forest Hills-Cain Park

Yesterday I had a headache pretty much all day. Today my throat is scratchy and I feel a bit like I have a cold. What will I accomplish today? It is August 27th. I have four days to complete the script.

Temperature: 63°
Climate: rain
Weight: 158.5 lbs.
Intake: yogurt & granola
Hydration: yes
Water Stop: yes
Stretches: yes

As I lay half-asleep after my wife had gotten up (she would return in a half-hour with coffee) I thought I heard it raining, but it wasn't. The pavement was dry. I suited up and stepped out ... and there was mist. It was too cool and I was too ill to run without a jacket.

My voice was resonant, like a sick person, and she encouraged me not to overdo it. It occurred to me that maybe I should run later, in the afternoon or evening. But what if I felt worse later in the day? Besides, I was dressed. I headed out.

The rain did not get any heavier, though it was steady and light for the first half of my run. By then I was feeling good, my pace had picked up. I did it. Eight miles, as the sky lightened so did my chest.

Just made myself a big, fat eggs and cheese breakfast burrito with onions, tomatoes, peppers and hot sauce.

Running twenty on Sunday morning.

What's That Lyric?
Long Hot Summer - The Style Council

No comments: