Monday, August 17, 2015

You will pay tomorrow.

Pavlok. Because you aren't miserable enough.
Always hated stretching. As far back as elementary school I remember the gym teacher leading us through stretches and the pain made me feel sick to my stomach, and unnatural pain and I didn't understand how it was associated with the exercise I was trying to do, but there it was.

There was a period when I was in college, when the emphasis on the body was so great that I was actually what you might call limber. I could actually keep my legs straight, reach over and toes my toes. Yes, those were good times. I suppose if I worked on it every day, as I had then, I could once again have such loose muscles and tendons.

But no, screw that, I hate stretching. I cannot see how warming up before a run is any more beneficial than warming up by running. What I really need to do is to make myself stretch after running.

Today I feel all right, considering yesterday's miles. There are complaints all down my right leg. And yes, I have stretched, and it just draws undue attention to the fact that my right leg hurts.

Distance: 3 miles
Duration: 25:43
Avg Pace: 8:33
Route: Boulevard Loop

Hydration. Yesterday I had a bottle with me, kept it full whenever possible. Came home, drank a large glass, then another. When the urge hit me, I had another, and another. And I felt fine.

Strong memories of my first twenty mile run, from the Heights to Lakewood. I felt hungry. I wasn't hungry, I don't need much food. I was dehydrated, and that's it.

Temperature: 72
Climate: bright and humid
Weight: 158 lbs.
Intake: none
Hydration: yes
Stretches: yes, okay?

Yes. There is a device called the Pavlok that will shock you if you skip your workout. I have logged 136 workouts already in 2015, which is more than I ever have during any single year. The fear of obesity and diabetes has been a much more effective motivational device.

What's That Lyric?
Ship of Fools - World Party

No comments: