Thursday, August 20, 2015

Take it on the left foot.

Wednesday was a much-needed day-off. I realized on Tuesday morning that part of the reason my Achilles tendon has been bothering me has to do with the damn sidewalks.

They have done a great deal of sewer work in my neighborhood. The problem is, they first ripped up sidewalks on the south side of Monticello and updated the sewer. Then they ripped up sidewalks on the north side of Monticello, updated the sewer and then replaced those sidewalks. Then they moved up Forest Hills and ripped up those sidewalks, updated the sewer and then replaced those sidewalks.

Do you see what is missing?

So, there's this one block stretch, the one I take most days to start my run, with those gravel strewn trenches. This past week I tried something new, running the street until traffic comes in my direction and then I run the treelawn.

The treelawns here have also been affected by the recent work and have dips and divots. And I think I have been harming my ankles on them.

Tuesday I finally (took long enough) wrote a letter to the city to ask how soon they would be finishing the sidewalks. School starts in two weeks. Two days later, I have received no response.

Distance: 7 miles
Duration: 54:33
Avg Pace: 7:47
Route: Forest Hills-Cain Park

The sun rises later and later. One day off is very helpful right now, but it also throws me off my mental game. This morning was another I thought hey, sleeping in is good. Rest is good. Isn't rest good? Yeah. But I have seven miles to log, this isn't a joke.

Podrunner: Regulator (167 BPM)

Yes. Tired of songs. Tired of words. And I have not had a pace below eight minutes in some time. Is this training or is just maintaining? So, anyway - 167 beats per minute for seven miles. Broke eight, felt good. My ankle feels much better after one day's rest.

Temperature: 75°
Climate: dark clouds, then rain
Weight: 159 lbs.
Intake: none
Hydration: yes
Water Stop: yes!*
Stretches: yes

Light rain at mile six, and the clouds opened up for the last half mile. Kinda fun, actually.

* Cain Park fixed and replaced the water fountain! Thank you, Cain Park! I am sorry I ever doubted you.

No comments: